There is nothing better than finding something that just works for you. Whether it’s a scent, an ingredient, a brand…finding your tried and true that works with your body is like finding a little hack that makes everything better (and easier). I am always trying new products but have recently found myself always reaching for the same ingredient any time I see it – Charcoal. While I’ve known about how amazing activated charcoal can be for a few years now, I’ve found myself subbing out my daily products with more and more charcoal based products and my skin, hair, and body are thanking me for it.
Charcoal is extremely purifying and is like a real-life magnet for toxins in your body. My first ever intro to Charcoal are the activated charcoal capsules below – a total impulse buy on Amazon when I was ordering my other holy-grail, Bentonite Clay. Fast forward to a few years later and it’s safe to say I’m obsessed (and forever hunting for the newest charcoal goodies I can find).
Here are my absolute favorite Charcoal-based products and why they’re just so important to my daily routine:
- Bioré Charcoal Cleansing Micellar Water – I’m such a fan of Micellar Waters to begin with, so when I found this charcoal based water I knew I had to try. True to other micellar waters I’ve used in the past, this is great for taking off makeup (even a full-face), and leaves a super clean feeling to your skin. I prefer using Micellar Waters to traditional makeup wipes or face wash, and this Micellar water is amazing for eliminating excess oils and keeping you matte throughout the day. While I think this micellar water would be a little too abrasive for sensitive skin and drying for dry skin, it is perfect for oil-prone skin or t-zone use. Where to buy: Target/Drugstore
- Primally Pure Charcoal Deodorant – This one is the newest addition to my arsenal, but also my complete favorite and kind of life changing. I am late to the natural-deodorant game to say the least, mainly because I really did not want to give up my traditional shower-fresh Deo and was not willing to risk smelling gross (tbh). However, I really started thinking about giving it a try after going through a pretty intense experience last year that required surgery due to a skin condition under my left arm. It’s been almost a year and my arm never truly healed back to normal, and spraying aluminum-filled deodorant every day just felt wrong. After doing some research I found Primally Pure, and knowing how well Charcoal works for my body I had to give this a shot. Long story short, the transition has been effortless and I’m so happy I made the switch. Added to the list of things I never thought I’d say: I could go on and on about how amazing this deodorant is. Happy to help answer any questions on this for those of you thinking about making the switch too! Where to buy: Primally Pure
- Boscia Luminizing Black Mask – This one…now this one is something special. I love how popular face masks have become recently, because it truly is one of my favorite ways to treat myself and take care of my skin. This mask is a cult favorite for a reason – it is a peel off mask that dries so satisfyingly tight on your face, so when you remove it you’re left with baby soft, completely clean, nearly invisible pores. The mask is a pretty jarring jet black when you apply, due to the activated charcoal in the formula. This has been phenomenal for my oily skin and is seriously getting me closer to feeling good about going foundation-free. This has become such an essential product for me and is great to use once or twice a week. Where to buy: Sephora
- Activated Charcoal Capsules – Like I mentioned before, this was my first ever charcoal based product and I’ve kept them on hand ever since. My favorite DIY mask is Bentonite Clay & Apple Cider Vinegar, and I bought these as it was suggested to add in a capsule into the clay/ACV mix for added cleansing properties. It truly does make one of the most effective (not to mention super affordable) deep-cleaning masks. I like this brand of capsules because they are super easy to separate open to get all of the magical powdery goodness into my face masks. Adding in a drop or two of tea tree oil into the mix makes a very glam-glow like mask, for much less $$. Another great use for these capsules are to break two open into a small container, add a very small amount of water to make a thick paste, and take a spare toothbrush to circulate the mixture on the surface of your teeth. Brush for a few minutes, add water and swish around, then rinse out and brush your teeth as normal after. The charcoal is like a magnet to surface level stains, leaving you with a super clean, bright smile with none of the crazy chemicals or tooth-sensitivity that whitestrips have. Where to buy: Amazon or Drugstore
- Active Wow Activated Coconut Charcoal Powder – Super similar to the benefits listed above, this is a charcoal based powder made from coconut shells that whitens teeth beyond any at-home kit I’ve ever used before (and I used to be obsessed with them, yikes). I like this product over just using the capsules because the results are pretty dramatically noticeable, and it honestly is a little less messy than breaking open the capsules. A little goes a long way and gives such a clean feeling to your mouth and teeth. Because this will truly coat your teeth and toothbrush in a jet-black charcoal paste, make sure to set aside a separate toothbrush just for using this. Where to buy: Amazon
- Hask Charcoal Purifying Dry Shampoo – Last but never least, this Dry Shampoo is so phenomenal and the fact that it’s a drugstore product is just the cherry on top. The charcoal is super cleansing to give you truly clean feeling hair, with a super refreshing citrus scent that smells equally as clean. It gives a fair amount of body (not as much as living proof or some of my other favorites), but definitely enough and a great daily option (at a great price point). This sprays as a true white like other dry shampoos, but does not leave a residue so it’s suitable for blondes or brunettes. I always have a can on hand and really love the way this product smells and works on my hair! Where to buy: Target/Drugstore
I truly have come to rely on these products and love how they’ve changed my skin since using. I’m so happy Charcoal has become so popular and will forever be stalking the aisles of target and sephora looking for the latest and greatest. Do you have a favorite charcoal product that I missed? Leave me a comment below to let me know what I need to try next! ❤